Monday, March 17, 2008

May 29, 2007

Welcome to Mongolia!

Although we arrived in Darkhan yesterday, I feel as if our real introduction to Mongolia began today. We started the day late (Susannah had suggested resting, and so we took our time getting up and getting ready). I had a brief flashback to Belize because the sun rises early here as well -- around 5 am. Our room has a large window with a very thin curtain, so it was difficult to sleep past that.

At 12:30 or so, Susannah took Nara, Sarah and me to a restaurant (I can't remember the name of it right now). [Edited note: the restaurant's name was Sondor.] Sarah and I learned quickly that our definitions of things vary greatly from others. Our "spaghetti" tasted like pasta with shrimp cocktail sauce. But it tasted okay, and, hey, it was food!

After lunch, the three of us went to the Change the World offices to meet everyone. The first person we met coordinates all the humanitarian efforts. I'm hoping to have a chance to ask her name again, because it totally escapes me. We also met Dawa, the woman who is charge of all the children's centers. We told her very briefly about our general ideas for working with the girls, and she told us a little bit about each of the children. It is so evident that she loves each kid as if he/she were her own.

We also met Fred Abbot, the former military personnel who is running the ship while Jerry is away. I think that I am supposed to know him from Bear Creek, and he looks somewhat familiar. But I still can't place him. [Editor's note: I can now : )].

Once we met everyone and changed some of our money, Nara said she would take us to the "birge" -- essentially, the flea market. It was absolutely ridiculous how much was available there. And while I fully intend to go back and restock my wardrobe, Sarah and I each only bought a few essentials.

I almost forgot to include the most entertaining part of going to the market -- the taxi! We were just walking and talking with Nara when all of the sudden a beat up old car pulls to the side of the road and Nara climbs into the back seat. Another girl got in the passenger's seat and, although we were terribly concerned, Sarah and I piled in the back. There wasn't any sort of marking or lighting that designated the car as a cab, but we learned that it is simply instinctual. It costs approx. $.20/person no matter where you are going (200 tugrugs).

After the market, we went to the supermarket to get a few groceries. We also stopped at the intenet cafe so that each of us could email our loved ones and give them our personal assurances that we were alive and well. The internet connection was running really slow (proving once and for all, if there had been any doubt, that we are not in America anymore) and so it took forever to read 4 and send 2 emails. It was good, however, to be connected in some way, even if it was only briefly.

When we got back to the apartment, Sarah and I had the chance to talk for a little while. She confirmed what I suspected -- she had a freak out moment this morning of "oh my goodness, what did I get myself into?!" I had been expecting to experience that during the drive to Darkhan, much as I had on the way to Jaguar Creek, but it never came. I know that it is only through God's grace and love that I have been given a peace and a confidence about our purpose here. I have no idea, specifically, what He has in store -- but I know it will grow me in immeasurable ways.

No comments: