Happy Children's Day!
Last night, I thought a tornado was terrorizing Darkhan. At 11 pm, the windows starting banging and the trees began to sway forcefully. Sarah was able to secure all the doors and windows ...
and thus we were introduced to the winds of Mongolia.
Sarah and I took a little time last night to prepare a list of games for the kids today. We found out fairly quickly that such a list would not be necessary; due to the low mercury level, outdoor children's day activities had been cancelled.
The morning had already started slowly, and the prospect of adding even more down time to our day was not a welcome one to me. But, throughout the day, I have been convicted. How often do I truly sit in silence, praying and listening to God's voice? Why am I afraid of inactivity?
I think the Lord will use this time for more than just discipleship for the girls. He will use it to mold me into a woman after His own heart, even if I resit with all my might.
Maybe that's what the silence is for.
Once again, the girls were jubilant at our arrival, perhaps even more so after being confined indoors due to the cold weather. They practically pounced on us as we settled down to play Go Fish, Uno, Dominoes and Pigs; even the house mom joined in! About an hour into our visit, they brought out food and milk tea for us to eat. There was a heaping mound of potato salad and "sea cucumber" for us to eat, and a plante of donuts and dried fruits as well. Though potato salad certainly does not tickle my palate, the generousity and excitement with which they give makes it wonderful.
The time that we spent together was precious. Amidst the chaos of three kindergartners vying for our attention (and intently braiding my hair), the girls asked us to sing for them (I sang "Part of Your World" from the Little Mermaid) and they sang for us. They kept listing off worship songs for us to sing first in English and they would follow in Mongolian.
After awhile, they asked us to teach them the words to "Every Move I Make." Susan asked me to write it out in her little copy book, and the other girls copied it down intently. Then they recorded Sarah and me singing it and joined in with us the second time. It was so sweet to see their hunger for that song.
We attempted to get a phone card at the post office, but we'll have to return with a translator.
I wanted to try out the Texas Pub so we invited Susannah and Nara to join us. Dinner was good (although distinctly un-Texan), and we enjoyed the chance to talk with Susannah about her plans for the house mom Bible studies. She has some great ideas, and I know the Lord's going to bless them.
Our fishing trip for tomorrow was cancelled (the forecast predicted cold, wind and rain) so we'll probably try to spend some more time with the girls. It will most likely be another slow sort of day, but hopefully we'll get a lot of studying and preparation done. And then on Sunday we begin ...
Pregnancy #2 and Noelle's Birth
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment