Okay, so it's nearly 1:30 a.m., but I can't go to sleep. I have a lot of thoughts racing through my head, and since this is intended to be as much as a journal for me as it is intended for anyone else, I thought I'd tell a story that I don't want to forget ...
At 8:13 p.m., I received a phone call from Aaron Garrett, the current editor-in-chief of the law review. Having wrapped up a week long interview process for editorial board positions more than 4 hours before, I was lounging comfortably but was excited to see a call from an unknown number. And then I heard those dreaded words: "We have a few more questions for you. How quickly can you get to the law school?"
My mind went to work. 15 minute drive. Changing back into hose/suit/heels. "Twenty minutes?" "Okay, just get here as fast as you can."
I pulled on my grown-up clothes, hoping that my face didn't have any "sheet marks" from the nap I had taken earlier in the afternoon, and I ran out the door. On my way to the law school (driving a cautious 3-5 mph over the speed limit the entire way), I wondered if this was a set-up or if I was about to face a barrage of questions that would forever determine my editorial fate. I pulled into the parking lot, entered the law school lobby and heard the sound of boisterous conversation coming from the direction of the faculty room.
Hurrying into the room, I was greeted by comments of "thanks for coming back," to which I hastily responded that it was not a problem. I was cold (I failed to mention that it had showered a "wintry mix" on my way to the earlier interview), and I was nervous about what this final interview might bring.
Then Aaron said, "We have one last question for you ..."
At this point I knew what was coming next, but I waited for what I was certain would follow ... and sure enough it did. "We have selected you as Editor-in-Chief. Will you accept?"
It was kind of overwhelming to react in front of the entire past year's editorial board, and I didn't see many of their faces, but the excitement was there. And after many congratulations and thanks showered around, I was on my way back to my house, to make my phone calls and celebrate the night away.
So how does this editor-in-chief-elect celebrate this sort of an honor? Go see a late night chick flick, of course! I convinced (though it didn't take much arm twisting) my wonderful roommate Sara to come along and we frittered away our evening with "He's Just Not That Into You." And now here I sit, trying to shut my mind off for the evening because my alarm will go off all too soon.
I'm overwhelmed and humbled. I'm nervous and excited. And I am so honored to be selected by my peers. I hope that I can live up to all of their expectations.
<><
Pregnancy #2 and Noelle's Birth
10 years ago
1 comment:
Hey girl! I didn't get a chance to tell you, yet, but CONGRATS! I have to say, I'm excited for you, but I'm not really surprised. You are amazing, and I'm SO pumped for you! Love ya!
Post a Comment