Wednesday, November 19, 2008

the art of procrastination

In my lifetime, I've known my fair share of professional procrastinators. People who can put off the smallest task until the very last minute, type up a 40-page paper in just one night or juggle ten deadlines at once without sweating a drop. I've never been a very good procrastinator because I break the cardinal rule of procrastination: thou shalt never stress out over what you've put off 'til tomorrow, because tomorrow's not today. See, I'm great at dilly-dallying and occupying myself with various other things if I want to avoid a task. Currently, I am working through an aversion to my Note. I don't even like to open the document on my computer, much less figure out how to make it a coherent work of legal scholarship. But as I avoid this task at the top of my to-do list, I am still concerned. Concerned that I won't finish. Concerned that my editor will think I'm a brainless fool who should never have made Law Review. Concerned that the longer I procrastinate, the more stressed out I will become.

I'm going to try to do better as I prepare for finals. Not necessarily at being on top of things because that's no fun. But to adopt a que sera sera methodology. That's the true art of procrastination.

<><

No comments: