Monday, December 1, 2008

in the midst

I am still crazy busy with schoolwork (as evidenced by my dream this morning that I won't recount here), but I wanted to take a moment and share two "letters" with you. When Sarah and I were in Mongolia, we started each of our Bible studies with a letter from a book called "His Princess: Love Letters from Your King." For anyone who knows an adolescent girl, this is a great book ... and even if you're more of a "young woman" than an teen/preteen, it still can provide moments of poignancy. I keep the book out in my room, and I read one or two occasionally. I was really struck by the ones I read today -- I just read in order, so I hadn't picked them out or anything -- and how applicable they are to my life right now.

My princess, you need rest.
I know you often grow weary. I hear your heartfelt cry for more energy to make it through each day. You, My tired princess, must trust Me with all your many worries and responsibilities. Rest when I tell you to. I am your heavenly Father, and I know what My girl needs. So listen to the One who loves you the most and knows all about you. I want you to take a step of faith by setting aside a day each week to rest from all your work. If you will obey Me in this, I will multiply your time and supernaturally energize your efforts to get everything done in the following days. Welcome this opportunity to give your mind, body, and spirit a rest. Consider it My love gift to you, and relax in Me!
Love,
Your King and your Resting Place
"Then Jesus said, 'Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.'" Matthew 11:28

My princess, your time is valuable.
The time that I have given you is of eternal importance. Your life matters, and the most valuable asset you can give to someone or something is time. Remember, My royal one, I want all of your appointments to be in My perfect will. Not all good opportunities are from Me. Keep in mind, My love, that there may be many ways to make more money, but you can never buy back time. So invest your time wisely. Think about what you are doing and how you spend your precious life. Are your days full of the things that matter most to you? Now is the time to take control of your schedule and live a life that matters. If you will sit with Me, I will help you remove the things that are holding you back from doing what's most needed in this season of your life. There is never a wrong time to do the right thing, so come and experience success with divine direction.
Love,
Your King and Eternal Timekeeper
"Our people should learn to spend their time doing something useful and worthwhile." Titus 3:14


So, although I still plan to spend the majority of next two weeks studying my absolute hardest, I am going to take a moment here or there to appreciate the important things. Starting with tomorrow -- I'm going to take an hour or two to enjoy my wonderful roommates while we decorate for Christmas, make puppy chow and celebrate the season together. I hope that those of you who are hectic and crazy like me will get the chance to take this rest as well.

<><

No comments: